The S&P Capital IQ platform provides relationship management tools such as Relationship Paths and Relationship Tree to manage, track and leverage key relationships.
Various “Six degree of Separation” Relationship Paths and Relationship Trees are available in Capital IQ to identify potential networking opportunities as the relationship management tools help create a map of relationships between people and companies, and manage contacts with detailed information on industry professionals.
For instance, users can quickly identify the relationships between Columbia Business School and The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (NYSE:GS).
click on the screen capture image below to enlarge
Furthermore, Capital IQ is very effective in finding alumni who work in a given industry or job function globally. For instance, we can use it for screening companies such as: Private Equity and Venture Capital firms in Hong Kong where Columbia business school alumni work.
To do this search:
1. Mouse over the “screening” tab, and then click on the “companies” link
2. click on “investment style managed” under “investment/advisory firms”, and select “Venture Capital” and “Private Equity/Buyouts” under “available items to “selected items”. Then click on “add criteria” button.
3. Click on “Geographic Locations” under “Company Details”. Search for Hong Kong. Click on the check box left to “Hong Kong” and then click on “Add Criteria” button.
4. Click on “Colleges/Universities” under “Education”. Put “Columbia” in the search box and click “Go”. Select “Columbia Business School” under search results and add it to the search criteria.
5. Click on “View Results” button to get the list of companies.