Summer Listening: E-Audiobooks from the New York Public Library

If you have a New York Public Library card, you can easily download e-Audiobooks to your ipod touch, iphone, or other mobile device.

First, search the catalog for the type of audiobook you wish to download.

The easiest e-audiobooks to download are MP3 audiobooks, which can be downloaded directly to your ipod touch, iphone, or other mobile device.   If an audiobook is available, click "add to my e-list" and then from your e-list you can check-out the item, and download it directly to your iphone or touch.  You’ll need to download OverDrive Media Console which has an iphone version.  (You’ll be directed to download this as part of the check-out process).  More Info on MP3 audiobooks.

Many of the newer e-audiobooks are in WMA audio format, and these cannot be downloaded directly to an iphone or ipod, though they can be downloaded directly to a windows mobile device.  To put them on an ipod, you’ll need to download them to a PC  and then transfer them to your ipod using i-tunes.   If you don’t have access to a windows PC, come to the ETS in 305 Butler (with your ipod and a cable), where we’ve installed the software on Eusebius, one of the ETS computers.

Comprehensive help downloading e-audiobooks is available from the NYPL website.

If you don’t have a New York Public Library card, you can easily get one: go to the Morningside Heights Branch (113th & Broadway) with a photo ID and anything showing your New York address (ID, letter, bill, etc.)

One thought on “Summer Listening: E-Audiobooks from the New York Public Library

1. This is really cool i wish my library did that. I know my town is a small town and that is why but that is so nice. I hate having to buy all my audio books on line.