CLIO version 8.13.12 was deployed to production this afternoon.
This includes two changes of note:
LIBSYS-3083 – This change updates the label for the ILL link from “ILL” to “Scan”. I believe Jim Crocamo has filled in CUD today on this change, and how it relates to the restoration of patron services. Links to “Scan & Deliver”, which has been restored previously, have been removed again.
This morning we released CLIO v8.11.13.
This minor release includes small bug fixes, library updates, and a location update (NEXT-1611 – update Digital Humanities Center to Digital Scholarship Service).
CLIO version 8.11.12 was released this morning
Besides minor software updates and security patches this release also addresses the following tickets:
NEXT-1610 – Disable inapplicable request services for SCSB records
NEXT-1600 – Remove “Reply To” from CLIO Emails
NEXT-1594 – Remove embedded BestBets datastore
NEXT-1586 – “Review” item statuses shouldn’t mark item as ‘Unavailable’
LIBSYS-2694 – Configure CAS endpoints per-environment
LIBSYS-2686 – Display Provenance field consistently across records
CLIO v8.11.10 was released this afternoon.
This is a small release, addressing just a few display-related tickets, and updating a few minor gem libraries.
Issues included in this release are:
NEXT-1590 – Display Restriction Notes
NEXT-1596 – Restore results-footer to Quicksearch
LIBSYS-2505 – Enable Aeon requests for UA-LOW material
CLIO version 8.11.6 was released today.
This minor release corrects some bugs and improves batch processing.
Tickets addressed today include:
NEXT-1582 – FAST genre headings display twice when no LCSH present
NEXT-1578 – Best Bets logging
Today we released a new update to CLIO.
This release includes work on several tickets, as well as minor bug fixes and updates to Rails and other libraries.
UNIX-6346 – Update CAS authentication to work with updated servers
NEXT-848 – Rename to “Articles+”, including landing page
NEXT-1171 – Add event tracking for virtual shelf browse
NEXT-1307 – WorldCat link on Item Detail pages
NEXT-1567 – swap E-Books with Dissertations in side nav list
NEXT-1575 – Remove all links from non-Roman (vernacular) headings
This morning CLIO version v8.11.1 was released.
This release adds some refinements to the new Library Web Custom Search released last week. Frequent queries are cached, failed queries are retried, and there have been some improvements to logging and to managing bot queries.
Additionally, Ruby has been upgraded (2.5 to 2.6), IP-blocking logic has been updated to support CIDR notation, and “Articles” has been renamed to “Articles+” (ticket NEXT-848).
Today the backend search engine of Library Web CLIO searches was updated from Google Search Appliance to Google Custom Search (NEXT-1570).
The web services team has worked to assure consistency between GSA and GCS. We expect very little change in the results from the previous platform.
Another small CLIO release went out this morning.
Version 8.10.4 continues backend work to work with newer Solr versions, and fixes NEXT-1569, a problem with certain advanced searches.
A minor CLIO release was pushed out today.
CLIO v8.10.3 includes a number of small systems improvements, including gem library updates, index tuning, and better handling of hostname lookups. There should be no patron-facing changes.
Today we released CLIO v8.10.0, which updates the authentication mechanism (to SAML).
This change gives CLIO access to the affiliations of logged-in patrons, which can be used for fine-grained access control. (This will be used primarily for identifying CUL staff.)
CLIO release v8.9.12 was pushed out today.
This release improves availability display of some uncommon item statuses (e.g., BearStor but withdrawn, and some in-process scenarios). Also included are code cleanup, library updates, improved logging, and improvements to handling of malformed input queries.
A new CLIO version was released today.
This version adds logging of Best Bets usage, improves the interface for Articles publication dates, and updates location notes (see ticket list below). Improvements were made to the handling of several exception conditions, and gem libraries were updated.
NEXT-598 – Summon (Articles) dates: MM/DD/YYYY
NEXT-1503 – Best Bets Logging
LIBSYS-1642 – Barnard Archives change location note
CLIO v8.9.3 went out today.
This release focuses primarily on backend issues, including improvements to logging, batch tasks, and code consistency.
The following JIRA tickets were resolved.
LIBSYS-1598 – Redundant “Credit Line” 541 for Art
LIBSYS-1604 – Purge of deleted Law Library records
Today we’re releasing CLIO version 8.9.2.
This version sets the CLIO Articles search to display only Columbia’s holdings by default (see NEXT-1496). In addition this release includes some minor display improvements and gem updates.
NEXT-1496 – Articles searches show Columbia Holdings only by default
LIBSYS-1561 – Updates for Barnard’s new library
NEXT-1514 – Updates for Barnard’s new library
NEXT-1529 – Display MARC 541, 561, 563 notes, when public
NEXT-1530 – Display MARC 775 – Other Editions
Today we’re releasing CLIO version 8.9.0.
This update is primarily to support the new version of Academic Commons released earlier this week. The Academic Commons datasource has been updated to query via API calls, instead of directly accessing the AC search engine.
Beyond this, v8.9.0 includes a number of library updates, and support for Best Bets and Barnard Offsite requests.
CLIO release 8.8.7 was deployed today.
This minor release includes some software library updates, indexing tuning, and builds in support for an upcoming feature (best bet suggestions).
Two tickets were addressed with this release.
NEXT-1523 – Problem with arrow key toggle between records
NEXT-1526 – Display of references (MARC 510)
This afternoon CLIO v8.8.6 was rolled out.
This release updated a number of gem libraries, including security-related patches. The version of Ruby was also updated, from 2.4 to 2.5.
In addition some minor tickets were addressed:
NEXT-1510 – update link to Butler stack guide
LIBSYS-1437 – Support for Journalism library closure
CLIO v8.8.5 went out this afternoon.
This release adds just a single feature – the ability to request bound-with serials from offsite.
Bound-Withs are items that are physically bound with/within another item. The bound-with does not have a barcode, and cannot be directly accessed. Instead, requests need to be made to the title to which the item is bound.
The Voyager-to-Solr extract now includes blind barcodes from item notes in the MARC 876$x
CLIO now has a “request barcode” link to directly request that blind barcode
Valet now supports requests by barcode (instead of bib), and also provides some explanation for the bound-with situation.
Today we released CLIO v8.8.3. This release primarily brings support for two library closures, Geology and Barnard. The Geology library will be closed, but collection material can still be used via a newly introduced paging form. Barnard material will be unavailable throughout the summer.
This release also includes some display improvements to Offsite and Gift items.
The following tickets were addressed:
LIBSYS-1365 – Geology closure:
– Add note with link to paging form (to go into effect 5/18)
– Remove Geology as a campus delivery location for Offsite material
– Remove Scan & Delivery service for Geology material
NEXT-1502 – Barnard closure
– Add ‘Unavailable’ note to Barnard items (to go into effect 5/22)
– Override Voyager item status with Unavailable for all Barnard items (5/22)
– Remove Barnard as a campus delivery location for Offsite material
– Remove Scan & Delivery service for Barnard material
NEXT-1504 – Re-enable Borrow Direct and ILL services for Columbia Offsite items
NEXT-1507 – Display ‘Gift’ labeling in accordance with cataloging tags
Today we released CLIO v8.8.2.
This release includes a handful of interface improvements.
NEXT-1466 – Display use restrictions for Recap Shared material
NEXT-1483 – Display subject categorizations from FAST if LCSH headings are absent
NEXT-1484 – Boost search relevancy for the Atlantic Monthly magazine
NEXT-1493 – Enable searching of items by fund code
NEXT-1496 – Default Articles datasource to search beyond Columbia’s collection
NEXT-1501 – Update the location details for Butler Media Center
LIBSYS-1327 – Allow Audio/Video material to be requested via BorrowDirect
Today we released CLIO version 8.8.1. This release addresses a number of outstanding tickets.
NEXT-239 – Add ‘ebook’ format icon
NEXT-908 – Add top nav buttons to facet modal
NEXT-927 – Move the CLIO Feedback window
NEXT-936 – CLIO feedback content persists through hide/show
NEXT-1009 – Internal handling of multiline 866 fields
NEXT-1370 – Location text for Butler Reserves
NEXT-1396 – Batch scheduling of ‘Full’ processing
NEXT-1469 – Partner Summary Holdings in repetitive loop
NEXT-1487 – Reciprocal links to both has lists
NEXT-1490 – Use keyboard left/right arrow keys to go Previous/Next
NEXT-1491 – Remove debug mode for staff
Please pass along any questions or comments.
The Rails 5 release is now running in production. This update included a Blacklight upgrade and major updates to many other underlying libraries.
This release was first deployed yesterday morning, but ran into a problem where active user sessions couldn’t transition from Rails 4 to Rails 5, and had to be rolled back. Inactive users (i.e., browsers w/out valid session cookies) should have been unaffected.
This was unrelated to another systems problem, where the link resolver and many other web services became unavailable.
Last evening after hours this CLIO release was redeployed, with the extra step of destroying any active sessions. Since then there have been a few minor bugs (e.g., in the RSS output), which have already been addressed.
Minor gem updates
Turn off FACET-SEE-MORE logging (NEXT-908)
batch tweaks, update last-update/last-delete as we go, not at end of job
NEXT-908 – blacklight_config.default_more_limit = 500, now to prod
NEXT-1419 – author search – add test spec
NEXT-1461 – suppress links from recap partner records
NEXT-1480 – Web Search Architectures – Google Custom Search?
batch – wrap optimize in begin/rescue for Net::ReadTimeout
Atom feed – protects against bad params
Rake – add an optimize following daily processing
New rake task – ‘daily’ – to do all daily bib tasks together
Remove old Authority code – no more Atomic Update
Updates to Library Hours & Locations
NEXT-908 – turn of demo of full-screen facet values (use modals only)
NEXT-908 – Add Rails logging of see-more-facet counts
NEXT-908 – scroll position TOP when paginating within Ajax-modal
NEXT-1419 – adjust author search fields
NEXT-1481 – rename partner recap locations
Turn on pub_country_facet for clio_prod environment
Run cumulative catch-up after each full slice
Fetch new full files daily
Odd haml comment issue
Add cak2158 to ‘pilot’ permissions group
Locations: 2nd occurrence of pmrr -> butler
NEXT-908 – scroll-through list of languages
NEXT-1422 – tune long-query truncation
Locations fixture update to match updated Library Hours
NEXT-1470 – Suppress broken BD and ILL links for ReCAP items
Fixes to work against new Library Hours (drop ‘libraries’ table’)
Rake task to sync single library
Update ReCAP rake tasks
Minor gem updates
Bump Blacklight to 6.10, fix specs
Only do client-side timeout redirect for saved lists (and admin)
Add rake task bibliographic:extract:ingest_full_slice
More environment setup for running batch on service hosts (clio_app_dev, et.al.)
Move authority-variants from separate job into main bibliographic ingest
Protect against missing MARC 008 during indexing
Fix pub_country_facet Solr indexing
xmllint ran out of memory – switch to xmlwf for well-formedness check
Try U.Mich Traject format classifier
Traject indexing: pub_country_facet (NEXT-1032), format_traject, “count” fields (NEXT-1360)
NEXT-877 – No timed logout for authenticated session
NEXT-1275 – Sanitize Solr params (validate qt)
NEXT-1433 – update cron for: rake hours:update_all
NEXT-1464 – Advanced Search (incorrect escaping of quoted query strings)
NEXT-1468 – Update Burke location links
Daily recap ingest/authorities
Add ReCAP real-time status to other views (quick search sub panel, compact)
Add more crons to whenever schedule.rb
NEXT-1436 – Results inconsistent / Advanced Search
NEXT-1446 – xmllint input extract XML
NEXT-1451 – batch deletes in slices of 1000
NEXT-1458 – show CGD for selectors
NEXT-1462 – relevancy display
Gem updates (including FactoryGirl –> FactoryBot renaming)
Enable real-time status lookup of partner ReCAP items
NEXT-1459 – Update CLIO page on Academic Commons
NEXT-1460 – boost agricola
NEXT-1461 – skip ALL 856 online links for ReCAP partner records
Real-time status – skip law, include ReCAP partners
Improvements to ReCAP rake tasks
fix ‘deletes’ rake to use Blacklight update_url
NEXT-1440 – Batch fetch ReCAP incremental updates
NEXT-1453 – No Google Book view in CLIO record
NEXT-1454 – offsite status on index screen
Software libraries updates
Cleanup checked-out-items display
Support Bib indexing / querying to different Solr indexes
Updates to authority indexing batch
Improved error handling (SCSB Rest calls, etc.)
NEXT-1390 – whenever to prod (still not all jobs)
NEXT-1452 – Demo “Reseach Data” data source
Unavailable ReCAP items are “Checked Out”
Checked Out Items – fetch bib data from Solr for RECAP items
Fix test suite to work with ReCAP partner records
bug fix broken acquisition date indexing
Cleanup batch authority variants for ReCAP partner items
Adjust ingest rules for invalid Law records (multiple 001’s)
Add “checked-out-items” standalone page
NEXT-1446 – Voyager record 3462670, 789 subfield (“)
NEXT-1447 – CUL Offsite “Unavailable” –> “Checked Out”
Bugfix for missing ReCAP Partner recordsNEXT-1428 – CLIO exposing ZIP packages and mets files for AC items
CLIO v8.6.0 was released this afternoon.
This release addresses the following tickets. Some of these changes will take effect over time as records are indexed/re-indexed.
NEXT-1414 – Indexing of 960$f
NEXT-1421 – Normalization of Author heading with end diacritic
NEXT-1423 – Display 246 in CLIO Blacklight
NEXT-1427 – Export Citations only exports first 25 items on page
NEXT-1428 – CLIO display of Academic Commons records
NEXT-1432 – Index 541 Gift information
NEXT-1435 – Corrupt Leader in Solr records
This release also adds support for integrating ReCAP partner material into our OPAC. These records will be loaded and be available for Offsite requests later this week.
NEXT-1405 – Add real-time ReCAP SCSB availability check
NEXT-1434 – Format classification for ReCAP partner records
NEXT-1439 – ReCAP Partner Record Display
Today we released CLIO v8.5, which significantly reduces time to display item holdings.
This is a a major change to how holdings data is managed. Instead of calling our Voyager ILMS to lookup holdings data, this information is now embedded in our primary search engine. Circulation status is still dynamic, but other details (locations, notes, etc.) are part of the overnight data update.
Besides the benefits to patrons, this will reduce load on our Voyager servers, and also prepares CLIO to accept partner data for the ReCAP shared collection project.
This change has been under evaluation and testing for several weeks, however there may still be issues. Please pass along any questions or concerns.
CLIO version v8.4.6 was released today.
Most of the work in this release was related to batch processing and system modifications to adapt CLIO to new infrastructure and an improved data format.
The following tickets were addressed:
NEXT-1353 – move ‘Explore’ link into header
NEXT-1402 – Broken AC links (new persistent identifiers)
CLIO-758 – return 404 status for invalid_solr_id
Please pass along any questions or concerns.
Another small update to CLIO was released today.
This release includes minor bug fixes, enhanced logging, library updates (including moving to Blacklight 6.9), and a minor interface improvement:
NEXT-1353 – allow click through from bento to sources even if no hits
Let me know if there are any questions or concerns regarding this release.
A minor release to CLIO was pushed out tonight.
This release includes minor bug fixes and software updates.
There should be no user-facing changes.
A new CLIO release went out today. CLIO v8.4.3 includes several incremental software updates and work on a few JIRA tickets.
Ruby, RVM, Rails, and Blacklight, as well as many other libraries, were bumped to newer versions.
NEXT-1355 – Remove Summon and Legacy saved list links
NEXT-1378 – Remove all SolrMarc support
NEXT-1379 – Update Language Map
Work was also made to prepare CLIO for the data format of the ReCAP middleware project.
Let us know if there are any issues or questions regarding this weeks release.
We’ve put up CLIO v8.4.2 tonight.
This minor release completes the suppression of all Hathi limited-view items, and corrects a misconfiguration in the querying of Academic Commons records. Several minor gem libraries were updated as well.
This closes tickets:
NEXT-1357 – Only display ‘Full View’ Hathi Trust records
NEXT-1375 – AC items data is inflated
I’m releasing CLIO 8.4.1 tonight.
This includes a bug fix for the two lesser-used aggregate views, Dissertations and E-Books, (NEXT-1374 – sorting catalog results throws error)
This also includes some improved work around the datasource hit-counts released last week. When the hit-count can be determined from the on-screen result set, the value is directly filled in, rather than requiring an additional server round-trip. This should improve hit-count display speed, reduce traffic on backend servers, and correct the confusing slightly-off hit counts we’ve been getting from the Summon datasource.
Please continue to report anything that looks odd related to this hit-count feature. It’s new, and we’ll probably run into a few more oddities that’ll need ironing out.
This evening CLIO v8.4.0 was deployed. This version adds two notable changes.
Second, CLIO now displays a hit-count next to the major datasources listed along the left sidebar. Hit counts are shown upon initial queries, and are then absent for complex datasource-specific queries (e.g, facets).
Tonight a minor update to CLIO was deployed to production. In coordination with access restrictions to CLIO Legacy being put in place tomorrow, CLIO links to the Voyager OPAC have been updated. In addition, Hathi linking has been simplified.
NEXT-1357 – In Hathi Trust records, display only “Full View” links
NEXT-1362 – Changes to support CLIO Legacy restrictions
A small CLIO release was deployed this evening.
Patron facing changes include
NEXT-1261 – “See More” Department facet freezes for Academic Commons
NEXT-1263 – Question mark in QuickSearch causes search to fail
UNIX-4034 – update sender name (to “noreply”) on emailed citations
Other changes include improvements to system configuration and evaluation features.
This Wednesday evening CLIO 8.3.4 is being released. This release includes front-end and system-level changes related to a number of tickets.
NEXT-1232 – RSS for saved lists
NEXT-1264 – Changes to Zotero citations
NEXT-1336 – Language updates to no-hits page
NEXT-1341 – Reorder Article Facets
NEXT-1345 – Serial link queries (Continued, Absorbed, etc.) not limited to Journals
NEXT-1346 – Display Former Title distinct from Other Title
NEXT-1347 – Improved system debugging
NEXT-1350 – Work to partially address slow holdings loads
LIBSYS-539 – Don’t reCAPTCHA for on-campus users
Tonight we’re releasing an update to CLIO, version 8.3.3.
We found recently that CLIO’s record emailing feature was being abused to send spam. This release adds a reCAPTCHA to the email form. Unauthenticated users will need to click a checkbox, and possibly answer a verification question, before being allowed to send email. Authenticated users will not face the reCAPTCHA challenge.
If there are any questions or concerns about this change, please let me know
This release also includes support for several of the features now under review in our CLIO Test environment. With this support now in place, features can be toggled on/off via runtime configuration.
CLIO v8.3.2 is a backend system change to our SMTP relay.
Tonight’s release was CLIO version 8.3.1. We worked through some further CLIO maintenance.
– The server was restarted to clear some systems level issues with host name resolution.
– We upgraded our version of the Ruby language from 2.2 to 2.3.
– This release also updates the Authority variant logic to stop using 550 values.
CLIO v8.3.0 went out tonight. This is a maintenance release only.
– CLIO database server was reconfigured for better memory management and corrected permissions.
– Our included Blacklight gem was updated from version 5 series to version 6 series.
– Several other gem libraries were updated.
– Our continuous integration test suite was adjusted for better reliability.
The Blacklight gem update has the potential to disrupt styling of our page content. Please pass along any reports of strange behavior or appearance.
Tonight we’re releasing CLIO 8.2.2. This small release includes work on a few display-oriented tickets.
NEXT-1319 – Avery Art Properties hours
NEXT-1323 – Message for Law records
NEXT-1326 – Display authority variant terms in Librarian View
NEXT-1329 – Trouble sending email from iPhone
This evening we’re releasing CLIO 8.2.1.
This release addresses the following tickets.
NEXT-1010 – Update HSL maps
NEXT-1306 – Converting ISBN-13 to ISBN-10 (upon reindexing)
NEXT-1313 – Eliminate references to Endnote
NEXT-1315 – Display 773 field in all formats
NEXT-1317 – Incorrect search results for series with parenthesis
NEXT-1319 – Avery Art Properties hours
Tonight we’re releasing CLIO v8.2.0.
This release updates of our indexing library, from java-based SolrMarc to the Traject rails gem. Indexing with Traject is a faster and more flexible, which lets us move forward with our Authorities work. This evening we’re releasing the new indexing library. Tomorrow evening Invisible Authorities should start working in production.
Changing the indexer required rewriting the full set of Columbia’s custom indexing rules. While things look good in testing, there could always be problems that show up in production. If there seem to be any data-related problems after this release, let us know and we’ll look into them.
Tonight a small CLIO upgrade was released to production.
This included code reorganization to prepare for future Blacklight upgrades, better handing of a number of bad input conditions, a number of gem library updates, and a ruby version manager update.
There are no user-facing changes.
This week’s CLIO release adds an Art Properties custom view and addresses a number of small display-related issues. The following issues were closed out:
NEXT-1281 – Update the CLIO location information for Barnard
NEXT-1299 – Some complex holdings fail to load
NEXT-1301 – Library location pages should open in new window
NEXT-1304 – Art properties custom view
NEXT-1305 – More prominent display of “Shelved in…” (temp locations)
NEXT-1309 – Add “Purchase Item” to Request drop-down menu
CLIO v8.1.11 was released this evening. This is a minor bug fix release.
The list of tickets included in this release is:
NEXT-1293 – Shelf View using bib ids instead of titles
NEXT-1294 – Some flash messages not colorized
NEXT-1295 – Better series search on “Preceding”, “Continued”, “Absorbed”, etc.
NEXT-1297 – Database records still have brackets
This evening CLIO release v8.1.10 was released.
The following tickets are addressed by this update:
NEXT-1289 – Complex volume holdings do not wrap
NEXT-1283 / NEXT-1288 / NEXT-1291 – Articles advanced search keyword bug
In addition, this brings us up to Blacklight 5.18, the final 5.x version of the library.
Blacklight 6.0 was first released in January. We’ll look to upgrade to this release in the coming months.
CLIO v8.1.9 was released Wednesday evening.
This release adds a link to a new “Item Feedback” form, to help patrons give direct feedback to library staff about specific holdings.
We have also moved the application to current versions of Ruby (2.2) and Rails (4.2).
The first CLIO release of the year, v8.1.7, was deployed this evening. This release includes a number of interrelated improvements to advanced search and fielded searches, for the Catalog and the Articles datasources, as well as a few additional small bugfixes.
The following issues were addressed:
NEXT-856 – CLIO articles cannot show more than 5 or 6 content types
NEXT-898 – Need to see all formats in an articles searchNEXT-920 – Publication title search not working as in native summon interface
NEXT-946 – Articles — Advanced author search not performing as expected
NEXT-963 – Advanced Articles Search does not search all terms entered
NEXT-1242 – Title search in articles not the same as in native Summon
NEXT-1262 – Journal title field does not work in Advanced Search
NEXT-1270 – Truncated list of content types in CLIO articles
NEXT-1277 – Donor information display issue
NEXT-1278 – Locations page photos not resizing
Please continue to pass along any questions or concerns.
CLIO v8.1.5 was released today.
Tickets resolved with this release include:
NEXT-1266 – Omit field 655$c (hierarchy designation)
NEXT-1267 – Improve Holdings formatting
NEXT-1272 – Display Borrow Direct before Recall/Hold
NEXT-1274 – Correct location details for “Business Collection”
If there are any questions concerning this release, let me know.
CLIO 8.1.4 was released this evening. This release improves application management for technical staff. There are no user-facing improvements.
Cache statistics have been improved, including adding support for switching the cache store to Redis when that’s ready.
Exception notifications have been refined to give systems staff more relevant information.
CLIO Backend has been updated to make it’s caching time configurable at runtime instead of requiring a redeployment.
Minor gem updates have been made to both CLIO and CLIO Backend.
This evening we released CLIO version 8.1.3 to production. After talking with Gary, we’re going to try to standardize on a regular release window of Wednesday evenings.
This version includes several small performance improvements.
– additional caching of generated item displays
– compression of more assets
– minor tuning of HTML for faster download & rendering
We’re looking into the use of a dedicated caching server (redis) for further improvements.
In addition to minor bug fixes and general code cleanup, the following ticket also was resolved in this release.
NEXT-911 – Display uniform title in serial records
Let me know if there are any questions.
This release builds integration with web-based services for continuous integration (CI) testing, code coverage, and code quality metrics. Appropriate badges have been added to the project’s github page. To improve test suite reliability and performance, live API queries have been replaced with recorded transactions.
In the user interface, the drop-down menu of search fields has been rewritten to use standard components. This resolves ticket NEXT-1204 – Select indexes with Tab key.
With the Voyager upgrade now complete, we’ll be moving forward with the next CLIO release, moving authentication from WIND to CAS. CLIO 8.1.0 will be deployed after hours tonight, 8/24.
WIND was a Columbia-developed customization of CAS, and is no longer supported or maintained. CAS is a standard protocol used by many institutions, with strong support and additional features, like single-sign-on.
This release has been running on CLIO Test for the last two weeks. In addition to CAS, this release continues updates major libraries (Blacklight, Rails, Capistrano, RSpec).
Today we moved CLIO to HTTPS-only. Any HTTP traffic will be redirected to HTTPS. Full URLs will be maintained, so any particular bookmarked search should retrieve the same content, just more securely than before.
In conjunction with this I’ve deployed CLIO version 8.0.2. This changes text messages throughout the application from “http” to “https” (e.g., “Bookmark As” links). The LWeb Feedback form is now working again, and CLIO has been updated to point to the new version. This release also updates the version of the Blacklight library to 5.10.3.
The next release, in mid-August, will move our Authentication system from WIND to CAS. Like many of our summertime releases, this should have no user-facing effect, but puts us on a more modern technology and enables things like SSO in the future.
Please pass along any issues related which could be related to this update. This version has been running in development and test, but there’s always a chance of things showing up after release to production.
Tonight after hours I’ll release CLIO 8.0.1. This version brings CLIO to Rails 4. Aside from this, there are no notable changes.
Next week we’ll be moving CLIO to HTTPS only. Accessing CLIO over HTTP will automatically redirect the browser to an HTTPS connection. This configuration is already in-place on CLIO Dev and CLIO Test.
This is a necessary prerequisite to moving from WIND to CAS authentication, which will be coming along in a few weeks.
I’ve deployed CLIO 7.11.9 to production today. Again, this includes behind-the-scenes updates which help the codebase stay current, and some bug fixes, not front-end updates. Our bundled Blacklight is now v5.9.4, we’ve got a bit further to go to catchup to the newest release (5.13).
One user-facing update was the addition of an icon for the recently introduced GovDoc formats, e.g., http://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/11017315
This summer I’ll be working on updating the version of the Blacklight library we use for CLIO. Each bump to the Blacklight version means testing CLIO and then fixing any introduced issues. These updates may or may not give us improvements, but more importantly will make it easier to incorporate newer Blacklight-based functionality.
I’ve just released CLIO version 7.11.8 to production, which has brought our Blacklight version from 5.3.0 to 5.7.2. There are no user-facing updates in this release.
We’re releasing CLIO 7.11.7 this morning.
This is a minor release, addressing several small bugs and improving handling of bad input data, network errors, and other edge conditions. Specific tickets include:
NEXT-1175 – Gift icon, better styling with links
NEXT-1178 – EndNote export, avoid redirection errors
NEXT-1187 – Add MARC 546 “Language Note”
NEXT-1195 – Avoid CLIO hanging due to non-responsive backend API
CLIO version 7.11.5 is being released today.
Links to digitized version of material at Hathi Trust have been improved to list visibility and dates of specific holdings. Beyond that, this update also includes a miscellany of interface and search improvements, and better handling of some exception conditions. Details of these updates are found in the the following tickets.
NEXT-250 – Green check mark is not an obvious indication of availability (add tooltip)
NEXT-552 – Find a more visible icon for “online”; the chain link is difficult interpret
NEXT-934 – Restricted note not consistently shown (apply to all formats)
NEXT-961 – Incorporate Law records into CLIO (add requests note)
NEXT-1041 – Icon or other visual cue
NEXT-1099 – Acquisition Date facet cannot be negated (add tests)
NEXT-1140 – Special character not sorting properly (add tests)
NEXT-1157 – Quotation mark not sorting properly
NEXT-1163 – Add subfield f to title display
NEXT-1164 – Identifying partial coverage in CLIO for Hathi Trust items
NEXT-1166 – Indicate full text holdings for Hathi Trust
NEXT-1169 – Missing link on E-Books landing page
NEXT-1177 – Butler Reading Room locations do not pull up the new map pages
NEXT-1178 – After exporting to EndNote, add to my saved list exports again
NEXT-1180 – Donor info that spans 1 or 2 lines
NEXT-1181 – Changes for Locations API
Today we release CLIO version 7.11.4
This includes updated Location pages with Google maps, improved styling, and better integration with the Columbia Libraries website. Additionally, book details have been enhanced to highlight Gift information. This release also includes a long list of general bug fixes, upgraded libraries, and improvements to web analytics.
The following tickets have been resolved:
NEXT-1125 – ghost of past search in item view search box
NEXT-1144 – Quicksearch Academic Commons items without handles do not link to item
NEXT-1158 – when you search a series of call numbers, have search box display last searched. not revert to 1st searched
NEXT-1172 – Add event tracking for clicks on Suggestions & Feedback
NEXT-1174 – Make close on Suggestions and Feedback form easier to find
NEXT-1175 – Use gift icon in holdings display with link to donor page
NEXT-1176 – Use Google Maps on location pages
We’re releasing CLIO 7.11.1 today. This release includes a much requested feature — a “virtual shelf browse”. When viewing an item in the Catalog we will now display, at the bottom of the record, links to enter a virtual shelf browse at that call number.
Besides “virtual shelf browse”, we are reorganizing the list of data-sources to clarify that many sources are derived from the Catalog records, and we are adding location-specific notes to some items. Specific tickets addressed with this release include:
NEXT-995 – Something like “shelf view”
NEXT-1143 Analytical entries improvements
NEXT-1145 – Deemphasize sub-sources of Catalog
NEXT-1147 – Add location note for Burke rare locations
NEXT-1150 – Message for items which cannot launch virtual shelf browse
A new release of CLIO was deployed to production this morning.
With CLIO 7.10.9 we’ve updated the rules for determining the “Format” of items. This will mean significantly fewer items marked as format “Other”, and improvements to classification of “Computer Files”. Other work includes improvements to styling, error-handling, library updates, and, as always, many minor bug fixes.
Specific tickets included in this round are:
NEXT-1043 – Better handling of extremely long queries
NEXT-1107 – Pre-composed characters in facets
NEXT-1043 – Better handling of extremely long queries
NEXT-1141 – Improve Format Assignment
NEXT-1142 – search results scroll position
CLIO 7.10.8 was put up to production today.
This is a minor release, including some bug fixes, some internal code cleanup, example config files, and library upgrades, and added fielded search for Location:
NEXT-1113 – location search
CLIO version 7.10.7 has been released today. This release includes significant improvements to Zotero support as well as miscellaneous bugfixes and improvements in a number of areas. The following tickets have been addressed.
NEXT-606 – Support for music, sound and video recordings in Zotero
NEXT-910 – Improvements to Citation Email form
NEXT-943 – Support for E-Books in Zotero
NEXT-1018 – Support for Zotero Publication details (place, year)
NEXT-1067 – Saved Lists handling of very large lists
NEXT-1081, NEXT-1127 – Apostrophe encoding in the title bar
NEXT-1103 – Catalog facet sorting controls
NEXT-1104 – Saved List page styling
NEXT-1118 – Insert Avery link to “Make an Appointment”
NEXT-1119 – Support for Subjects/Tags in Zotero
NEXT-1121 – Add subfield delimiter in Librarian view
NEXT-1124 – Update catalog item count
NEXT-1129 – Change text of NYSPI
NEXT-1130 – Multi-item Endnote export failing
Please send along any feedback of issues or concerns with this release.
CLIO release 7.10.6 went out today.
This was a minor bugfix release addressing the following display issues:
NEXT-1105 – Email window is off center
NEXT-1111 – Firefox, Search options drop-down menu
CLIO 7.10.5 went out today. This release focused on bug fixes and style improvements. The following tickets were addressed:
- NEXT-1085 – Call Number Facet improvements
- NEXT-1096/NEXT-1097 – “Add to Saved List” on Item Detail page
- NEXT-1100 – Book bag only shows first 10 items
- NEXT-1102 – CLIO Print Problem – item page stacks
CLIO version 7.10.4 was released today.
This is a minor release, primarily addressing styling issues introduced with the recent Bootstrap upgrade. Mobile and print outputs were improved, per the following tickets:
- NEXT-1090 – Navigating on i-phone more cumbersome
- NEXT-1088 – CLIO print problems – font too small
In addition, the search engine was updated to better tune relevancy boosts and call-number faceting.
I’ve just rolled out CLIO 7.10.3. This is the first public deployment of the Bootstrap 3 style updates. Most screens have been updated in one way or another. Style improvements are ongoing, but please report interface areas that need improvement.
Besides the interface updates, the following issues have been addressed.
- NEXT-912 – Problems with saved lists with ampersand in title
- NEXT-881, NEXT-924 – Bookbag save no longer prompts login
- NEXT-1044 – Not able to move items from bookbag to new list
- NEXT-1056 – Not able to create a new folder in Saved Lists
- NEXT-1067 – Saved Lists broken for very large lists (~400)
- NEXT-950 – Boosts: Improve relevance scores for key resources
- NEXT-1084 – CLIO Articles Search Auth/Non-Auth logic
Please pass along any questions or concerns with this release.
Release 7.10.2 of CLIO has gone out today.
This version includes various bug-fixes and minor feature upgrades.
Specific tickets include:
- NEXT-623 – Use CLIO New Arrivals instead of New Arrivals
- NEXT-627 – Redirect newarrivals.cul to clio
- NEXT-890 – CLIO Newspapers landing page update
- NEXT-849 – “i” Information Content
- NEXT-948 – Article searches from LWeb do not exclude newspapers
- NEXT-977 – Series Title does not display via basic search
- NEXT-1051, NEXT-1068, NEXT-1070 – Locations and Hours for Digital Centers
- NEXT-1069 – 505s for Journals/Periodicals
- NEXT-1071 – Math Library updates during Renovation
- NEXT-1077 – Add labels to holdings information
- NEXT-1078 – CLIO Articles limit 500 records, Summon 1,000
- NEXT-1079 – Articles searches from landing-page not receiving default params
- NEXT-1080 – Add 490 series statement to displays
- NEXT-1081 – Apostrophe in the title bar renders incorrectly
Please let us know if there are any questions or concerns with this release.
This does not include the Bootstrap 3/Blacklight 5 updates. The upgrade to Bootstrap v.3 changes the styles significantly, and it’s taking a while to get all the screens functioning normally again.
The next version release of CLIO, 7.10.1, is going to production today. This release addresses a number of minor issues and begins a series of summertime updates to underlying components.
The following tickets are included in this release:
- NEXT-1012 – use handle for item link in AC records
- NEXT-1046 – Sort databases by acquisition date
- NEXT-1047 – Update 520 subfield codes
- NEXT-1048 – i-button popover text not displaying
- NEXT-1050 – Search for invalid ISBN (020$z)
- NEXT-1054 – In the single item menu, change “Services” to “Requests”
- NEXT-1059 – “Title begins with” doesn’t work with non-filing characters
- NEXT-1066 – Series link with apostrophe failing
Many included libraries, including Blacklight, have been updated as well. The next release will continue these updates, including some (e.g., Bootstrap 3) which will affect the visual appearance of CLIO.
Today we’re releasing CLIO 7.9.25 to production. This release includes a number of interface design updates and Solr search engine improvements.
The following JIRA interface-related bugs and improvements have been addressed:
- NEXT-822 – Search box style suggestions
- NEXT-956 – Show “Ask a Librarian” chat box when a search has no hits
- NEXT-983 – Improvements to database discovery interface (styles, language)
- NEXT-986 – Redirect CLIO Help menu link
- NEXT-988 – Label the Call Number field
- NEXT-1011 – Correct series links on item views
- NEXT-1015 – Support search-results navigation (Next/Prevous) from MARC View
- NEXT-1026 – Clicking ‘All Results’ for Libraries Website from Quicksearch shows an XML file
- NEXT-1027 – Relabel ‘All #### results’ on Quicksearch
- NEXT-1028 – Make facet state (open/closed) sticky through a selection
- NEXT-1033 – Increase the size of the CLIO search box
The Solr search index has been improved in various ways over the last several weeks:
- Improved average performance through better server memory management
- Improved longer query performance (over 6 words) by increasing “minium-match” value (NEXT-872,- NEXT-1024)
- Better tokenization to improve exact matches (NEXT-1035, NEXT-1036)
- Updated apostrophe-handling to correct problems with apostrophes within double-quotes (NEXT-998, NEXT-999, NEXT-1023, NEXT-1034)
Let me know if there are any questions, and please continue to pass along any issues, whether they seem related to the above changes or not.
The 7.9.24 release of CLIO has gone up to production this afternoon.
Updates to the front-end interface include the following tickets:
- NEXT-245, NEXT-562, NEXT-591 – Improved MARC/Librarian View
- NEXT-734 – Print improvements for search results pages
- NEXT-947 – Contextual availability of the “Start Over” link
- NEXT-993 – Flashing advanced search
- NEXT-996 – Rename “Pegasus” link
- NEXT-1009 – Improved display of multiple 866 fields in the holding records
CLIO 7.9.23 is being released today.
With this release we are now including roughly 450,000 bibliographic records from the library of the Columbia Law School. Other updates include improvements to Atom feeds and print output, further work on single-word journal titles, and display of additional MARC data fields. Behind the scenes, we’ve put work into improving handing of bad client requests, further tweaking responsiveness, and enhancing analytics. Tickets worked on during this release cycle include:
- NEXT-330 – Further improvements to single word journal titles
- NEXT-425 – robots.txt, convert to local per-instance file
- NEXT-485 – RSS feeds from CLIO Beta don’t display item content
- NEXT-612 – Quick search page doesn’t let you start over
- NEXT-745 – Better searches by filing title, (searching “ABC”, for title “The ABC”)
- NEXT-765 – MARC 787 (Related To) field not showing up
- NEXT-865 – improve styling for print-output of item-detail-page
- NEXT-945 – Fedora non-PDF downloadable objects are given the PDF icon
- NEXT-954 – Improve Landing Page access
- NEXT-961 – Incorporate Law records into CLIO
- NEXT-970 – Some bibs assigned format “Computer File” instead of “Other”
- NEXT-971 – Some WorldCat links to CLIO broken / OCLC-defined 079a not being indexed
- NEXT-978 – “Back” button broken in CLIO
- NEXT-990 – Permissions for Database Alerts – add new unis
Our automated test suite is extended with every release, but bugs always slip through. Please pass along any problem reports that seem to be related to this release.
CLIO 7.9.22 has been released to production.
This update includes a number of index updates related to searching and sorting.
Specific tickets addressed include:
- NEXT-415 – ‘New Yorker’ should sort before ‘New Yorker Volkszeitung’
- NEXT-421 – Search terms with both hyphen wildcard get no hits
- NEXT-437 – Remove the separator between location and call number
- NEXT-783 – Question marks don’t search in CLIOBeta
- NEXT-824 – Improved handling of Apostrophes and Apostrophe-like diacritics
- NEXT-867 – Better sorting of single-word journal titles
- NEXT-941 – Parallel titles/subtitles display problem
- NEXT-958 – Item-selection not working
- NEXT-962 – CLIO catalog A-Z sort should respect word boundaries
I’ve just released CLIO 7.9.21 to production.
This release includes the view-related updates previewed over the last few weeks:
– The per-page menu has been renamed “Display Options”
– The active “per page” option now shows a checkmark, and is remembered between sessions
– The Catalog offers a Compact View option, which is remembered between sessions
– Lists of four or more holdings are collapsed on the Catalog search results screen
– Abbreviating the title to the first 100 character in the Compact View
– Thinning the box-border in Compact View to match Standard View
In addition, the following tickets have been resolved with this release:
- NEXT-93, NEXT-821, NEXT-930 – Number results in Index page
- NEXT-113 – Do not make api request for online-only resources
- NEXT-836 – Articles: can’t uncheck multiple options at the same time
- NEXT-917 – remove redundant Summary display
- NEXT-922 – Advanced search item pagination skips records from search-results list
- NEXT-933 – Academic Commons switching to DOIs
- NEXT-955 – marc field 965 not searchable
This release includes two changes to catalog search interface:
No more default stemming: this version changes how search terms are matched such that a search for orientalism will no longer match oriented and a search for Methodism will not longer retrieve method, methods, methodical. Use the wildcard “*” at the end of a search term to expand the search results: agnostic* finds agnostic, agnostics, agnosticism, etc.
We also no longer return results that match on a library location (so a keyword search for Judith Butler will not return among its results all items shelved in Butler Library by anyone named Judith). The location (in this case “Butler Stacks”) facet remains in place for filtering results by location.
This release resolves the following tickets:
- NEXT-51 – A user can disable/enable stemming on advanced search.
- NEXT-350 – System supplied Automatic truncation is causing unexpected results
- NEXT-514 – A search for women physics should return exact matches before stemmed terms
- NEXT-677 – It would be ideal if stemming could be reworked so the results for search on methodism are not overwhelmed by hits on the word method
- NEXT-722 – stemming causes a search for orientalism to find every record with the word object in it
- NEXT-723 – orientalism retrieves orient / oriented / etc.
- NEXT-871 – Disable stemming by default
This release includes only a small number of display updates:
- NEXT-640 – Records in CLIO should include links to Hathi Trust
- NEXT-882 – Add 515 to note_book in marc display fields
- NEXT-923 – Add “Bookmark As” URL to catalog item detail pages
- NEXT-931 – Online Links in Holdings (not in the Bib) should display
Please take a look at your favorite example records to see the changes in action.
Behind the scenes there has been ongoing code cleanup, and updates to
make the code work better against the new non-stemming, no-location index.
We’ve also made progress towards SolrCloud, which will give us additional
reliability and possibly a small performance boost.
CLIO 7.9.14 has just been pushed to production. This release contains a large number of smaller bug fixes and cleanup for miscellaneous unreported problems, as well as the below list of specific JIRA tickets and issues.
One important piece of new functionality is support for per-datasource Warning messages. This will allow us to add a message to, e.g., all Summon-based searches, to alert users about any service interruptions.
- NEXT-853 – Use “Citation Online” for ALL Summon records which aren’t Full Text
- NEXT-880 – Newspaper search scope bug
- NEXT-881 – Improve ‘Unauthorized’ message when saving to book bag
- NEXT-885 – Update Map link for University Archives
- NEXT-888 – CLIO not finding Academic Commons Dissertations
- NEXT-889 – Update Hours mapping for Butler Reference
- Support for per-datasource warnings
- Library Hours fixes for Barnard Archives & Special Collections
- Style fixes for Holdings
- Relabel “Document Delivery” to “Scan & Deliver”
At the Systems level, CLIO has done well for the first week of the term. CLIO and many other systems were affected by problems with the underlying CUIT storage network and one of the CLIO datasources (Summon) has had performance problems. CLIO itself, though, has been stable. While usage has climbed by about a third at mid-day, search request timings have been roughly constant. We’ll continue monitoring CLIO from the systems perspective as the semester continues and adjust things as necessary.
CLIO 7.9.1 has been released to production. This includes the first public release of list-management – both the ability to operate upon a list of items from the search-results screen, and the Saved List capability.
The Lists features are not fully polished, but we need to start getting real-world feedback to clean this up for September. I expect we’ll be making daily releases for a while as we rapidly address bugs and interface problems. Please send along any suggestions.
- Articles: Add advanced search panel
- Articles: Add drop-down menu of fields to basic search
- Articles: Fix bug with search terms not resetting
- Articles: Support search by Publication Title
- Articles: Correct articles date formatting
- Articles: Allow sorting of advanced search results
- Articles: Keep search terms in search box
- Display issue with “Access Requirements” word-break
- “All Fields” should be default for Catalog search
- Support New Arrivals timeframes up to 1 year
- Correct links to CLIO Legacy, etc.
- Display unlinked 880 fields
- Add further handling of errors and exception conditions
- Performance and reliability of on-campus IP-address checks
- Improvements to the development and testing environments
This version primarily addresses a large number of bugs, most of them identified from system-level error logging rather than user feedback:
- Date Range filter lost by next/prev links
- Fix author link with trailing initial
- Fix display of untitled LibraryWeb documents (DAM files)
- Better handling of various client-side error conditions:
- corrupt parameters from misbehaving crawlers
- truncated URLs (incomplete CGI parameter keys or values)
- lost search context (from time-out sessions, or from multi-window browsing)
- Improvements to communication with Backend Voyager API
- Support for LWeb “Custom Searches” by passing-thru additional params to GSA
This release includes:
- Further updates to Landing Pages and links
- Enable next/previous links within New Arrivals and Archives
- Logging in now redirects to current page instead of homepage
- Update to location hours for DSSC
- Bugfixes to left-anchored (“Begins With”) title search
- Allow re-use of feedback form multiple times on a single page
- Remove “Unknown Status” message when there is no linked item record
I’ve just released CLIO 7.7.18 to dev, test, and production. This last week’s activity has been focused on back-end and infrastructure issues, in response to the usage we’ve seen since launch.
Changes between 7.7.13 and 7.7.18 include:
- moving http://clio-test.cul.columbia.edu to a new server (from rossini to berlioz)
- moving clio-backend (holdings lookups) to a new server (from rossini to bruckner)
- improve clio-backend error-handling and fedora lookup performance
- improved management of malformed HTTP requests (invalid IP’s, bad paths, IP-spoofing)
- eliminating redundant stylesheet loading (better performance, better IE support)
- adding a warning for users of IE under version 10
- updating location-to-hours-calendar mappings
- misc. typos, link errors, html fixes, etc.
Change between 7.7.9 and 7.7.13 include:
- removal of “beta” language throughout
- improvements to print output
- corrections to links to now-deployed LibraryWeb
- moving “Login” to “Staff Login”, under the Help menu
- remove “Bad URL” label from non-http 856u values
- fix occasional error in facet display labels
- cleanup extraneous log warnings
Additionally, our data is back to overnight syncing between Voyager and CLIO.
Throughout this production release we’ve been monitoring the various servers now involved in supporting CLIO. As anticipated, we are nowhere near having capacity issues. We will, though, be working with the SysAdmins over the coming weeks to tune our systems in anticipation of higher traffic later in the year.
This release includes primarily style improvements and bug fixes.
- Integrate Erik Ryerson’s CSS updates to harmonize with LWeb
- Links to Legacy Resources on landing pages (as demoed)
- Newly customized top-left drop-down menu of catalogs & resources
- Adjustments to available fielded searches in E-Journals datasource
- NEXT-584, Corrections to facet Open/Close indicators
- NEXT-601, NEXT-675 – add fields 533 and 789 to record display
- NEXT-672, default number of results raised from 10 to 25
- NEXT-714, left-anchored search bug fix
- NEXT-717, restrict Articles pagination to 50
- NEXT-719, typo
- NEXT-699, NEXT-711, correction to SMS popup for certain browsers
This release includes:
- Patron Services link out to skinned Voyager pages
- SMS links to current Voyager SMS (and relabeled “Send to Phone”)
- Facet chevrons replaced by plus/minus
- NEXT-671, per-page logic fixes
- NEXT-700, LWeb pagination bug
- NEXT-701, NEXT-697, sort/paginate at bottom of view
- NEXT-705, advanced search fields default to “All Fields”
- NEXT-712, restrict Summon E-Books to Online=True
CLIObeta 7.7.5 released to dev/test
I’ve released a CLIObeta update to the dev and test servers.
This release includes:
- Remaining Library Hours fixes
- Databases Alerts/Notes revisions, per ERIWG meeting
- Google Books covers improvements (no 30-item limit)
- Fixed single-item SMS/Email (unbroken, but still flawed)
- Landing page cleanup for Libraries Website
This release includes:
- Some fixes to Library Hours
- Zotero support for all sources except LibraryWeb
- misc. bug fixes
Zotero support for Catalog-based sources is based on unapi and uses the full MARC record.
Zotero support for Summon and Academic Commons is based on COINS, and is less detailed.
There is currently no Zotero support for mixed-source searches (Quicksearch, E-Books, Dissertations).
- Added Zotero support to: Quicksearch, Catalog list, Database list, Academic Commons list.
- Zotero integration
- Pagination at the bottom of articles
- Search box on item view
- Courses reserves link
- Better google analytics tracking
- Academic Commons range limit works
- Fixed some wonkiness with starting new searches on articles
- New landing pages
- Cite this removed
- Several bugs fixed with how article holding links display
- Changed ‘topic’ facets to ‘subject’