From Columbia’s Environmental Health & Safety newsletter, Safety Matters:
Molds are environmentally ubiquitous organisms that routinely populate indoor and outdoor environments; nearly anywhere one looks for mold, it will be found. For this reason, testing for molds is not recommended when aberrant mold amplification is suspected. Following water leaks or other events that create conditions conducive to mold growth, the first and most crucial step is to stop the water intrusion. Then, all affected items must be thoroughly cleaned and completely dried; items that cannot be cleaned and dried quickly should be discarded. Rarely, materials will exhibit mold growth as a result of water intrusion, and the response will depend on the extent of the growth. Walls with fewer than 10 square feet of visible mold can be cleaned with a surface-compatible cleaner and disinfectant and repainted, whereas extensive
involvement may necessitate removal of affected sections. Water damaged ceiling tiles must be quickly replaced.
If your work area has been impacted by water, contact Facilities as soon as possible. Rapid response in these situations can prevent an easily manageable situation from becoming more complex. For more information, read the complete article here.