Cartoonist and CUNY professor Sara Gómez Woolley will moderate the conversation with comics artists Sandy Jimenez (World War 3 Illustrated) and Nicole Virella (City of bones), along with comics writers Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez (La Borinqueña) and Julian Voloj (Ghetto Brother). The event is co-sponsored by Be’chol Lashon.
The event will be held on Thursday, September 19, at 6 pm, in Butler Library room 523. A reception and signing will follow. Click here to register for this event.
Latinx cartoonists have played major roles in comics from the days of newspaper strips, with creators such as Gus Arriola, through comic books–both mainstream and underground–right into the growing medium of the graphic novel. The collections here at Columbia attempt to represent this important community; here are some examples. To get an even broader picture of the contributions Latinx creators have made to comics, peruse the Cartoonists of Color database!
- Elements Fire: an anthology by creators of color. Beyond Press, 2017
- Puerto Rico Strong. Lion Forge, 2018
- La Raza Anthology: Unidos y Fuertes. Kat Fajardo, 2017
- Ricanstruction: reminiscing and rebuilding Puerto Rico. Somos Artes, 2018
- Voces sin fronteras: our stories, our truth. Shout Mouse Press, 2018
- When the rules aren’t right: 7 time travel tales of activism. Bardo Press, 2016
- Sergio Aragones. Groo the wanderer. 1982-
- John Carvajal. In your hands: the story of Jesús. Vermont Folklife Center, 2016.
- Kat Fajardo. Gringa! Kat Fajardo, 2015
- Pia Guerra. Y: the last man. Vertigo, 2002-2008 (with Brian K Vaughan)
- Lea Hernandez. Rumble girls. NBM Comics Lit, 2003
- Los Bros Hernandez (Jaime, Gilbert, Mario). Love and rockets. Fantagraphics, 1982-
- Sandy Jimenez. World War 3 Illustrated, various issues.
- Jis. Cats don’t exist. Fantagraphics, 2004
- Laura Lannes. John dear. Retrofit Comics, 2018
- Erika Lopez. Lap-dancing for mommy: tender stories of disgust, blame, and inspiration. Seal Press, 1997
- John Mejias. The Puerto Rican war. (forthcoming)
- Yehudi Mercado. Buffalo speedway. SuperMercado Films, 2010; Rocket salvage. Lion Forge, 2018 (with Bachan)
- Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez and William Rosado. La Borinqueña. Somos Arte, 2016-
- Carlos F Perez. Saint love city funk. Prime Vice Comics, 2016
- Carlos Quispe. Uranus. Printed Matter, 2010-
- Spain Rodriguez. My True Story. Fantagraphics, 1994; Che, a graphic biography. Verso, 2008; Cruisin’ with the Hound. Fantagraphics, 2012
- Wilfred Santiago. 21: the story of Roberto Clemente. Fantagraphics, 2008
- Ivan Velez, Jr. Tales of the closet. Hetrick-Martin Institute, 1987-
- Nicole Virella. City of bones. Margaret K McElderry, 2013
- Julian Voloj. Ghetto brother. NBM Comics Lit, 2015 (with Claudia Ahlering); The Joe Shuster story: the artist behind Superman. Papercutz, 2018 (with Thomas Campi); Basquiat. SelfMadeHero, 2019 (with Søren Mosdal)
- Sara Woolley. Los Pirineos: the mostly true memoirs of Esperancíta Gomez. Self-published.
PROLIFIC “MAINSTREAM” CREATORS