Librarian Highlight: Amanda Bielskas

amanda_bielskas

Subject specialties: Earth and environmental sciences

Contact info: asb2154@columbia.edu

Library: Geology and Geosciences Libraries

@ Columbia Libraries since: 2007

Education Info: MLS, Long Island University, 1999; MA in Anthropology, CUNY Hunter College, 2008; BA in Environmental Geology, SUNY Plattsburgh, 1996

About me: "I’m fairly new to Columbia, but have been working in New York Libraries for over 10 years and have a strong background in the natural sciences. I love answering reference questions so please don’t hesitate to contact me. Feel free to schedule a research consultation with me, or another subject specialist."

What’s new at my library: The new Sciences & Engineering Library Blog! Subscribe today to get updates on current database trials, new resources and news from the Science and Engineering libraries at Columbia University.

The Geology Library underwent a major renovation during the summer of 2007 and now offers a completely re-designed space with new fixtures and furnishings. Stop by 601 Schermerhorn to see our new library. And, we have added some additional hours.

Personal favorite: Google Scholar – Set your ‘scholar preferences’ to Columbia University and get seamless access to many of Columbia’s electronic resources!

Recommended resources:

• GeoRef – Citations and abstracts for publications in geology, geophysics, seismology, stratigraphy, paleontology, hydrology, and related earth science disciplines.
  • SCOPUS – Provides indexing, abstracting of and citation linking to journals in many fields including all the sciences, social sciences, business and medicine. It’s a great resource for interdisciplinary topics.
  • Web of Science – Bibliographic information and cited references in articles in scientific and technical journals.