Student Employee Profile: Meet Breanna Patrice Ellison

This series of profiles highlight valued student employees from across the Libraries, including Breanna Patrice Ellison, a General Assistant Student Worker with Delivery Services in Butler Library. The Libraries are the largest employer of students on campus. We couldn’t serve our users without them!

Breanna Patrice Ellison, General Assistant Student Worker for Butler Library Delivery Services

Q: Which library do you work at and what is your title?

I work at Butler Library in Delivery Services as a General Assistant Student Worker. 

Q: What does your job entail?

On a day to day basis, my job entails scanning and uploading article requests, processing electronic requests, retrieving materials from Butler Library and other campus libraries, updating electronic records for incoming and outgoing material, as well as transporting, shelving, packing, and unpacking materials. I have also been extremely lucky to work on two special collections/projects: I ingest material for the FLI Partnership Library and process material for a large-scale                                                                           inventory project in Milstein. 

Q: Could you describe your favorite or most rewarding part of working at the Libraries?

In terms of daily tasks, the most rewarding part about working at the Libraries is learning how libraries function and the immense amount of effort it takes to maintain a collection. In terms of specific projects, my favorite part of my job is working with FLI Partnership and seeing the collection grow. 

Q: What is your area of study?

I am studying English and creative writing. 

Q: Of the libraries on campus, which is your favorite place to study?

My absolute favorite place to study is Barnard Library in the Milstein Center. However, I recently went into the Music & Arts Library for the first time and intend to start spending some time there.

Q: What do you consider to be a “hidden gem” at the library where you work?

A hidden gem in Butler is the Graphic Novel Collection on the fourth floor. There’s an amazing variety of books (from an extensive French collection to all things Disney and Marvel) that I think people should take more advantage of. As a manga fan, I really love going up there and seeing what series they have.

Q: What is your favorite book?

My favorite book is either One of Us is Next by Karen M. McManus or As Good As Dead by Holly Jackson. (I love both authors and can never choose between them.)