Columbia University Libraries is considering subscription to an index to Arabic periodicals called MultiData Online. We have arranged a trial which runs through March 31, 2014.
MultiData Online database provides full text access and bibliographic citations indexes with a focus on political and socio-economic affairs in the Middle East. It includes news sources, periodical articles, bibliographic citations, and book reviews from Arabic newspapers and magazines. Selected newspapers and periodicals are available primarily in Arabic with some content available in English and French.
The database is divided into five components which can be searched together or separately :
- Full text of 40 daily and weekly newspapers (1994- ) ;
- Bibliographic citations for articles from over 250 Arabic periodicals published since 1920;
- Full text book reviews from more than 250 newspapers and magazines in the Arab world from 1998;
- Access to Index Arabicus* which includes citations from 42 Arabic periodicals published between 1870 and 1969;
- Index to theses submitted to 21 Lebanese institutions.
English and Arabic interfaces are available. The database is available at:
(Access to this resource is available only to current faculty, staff and students of Columbia University)
Please send comments and evaluation remarks to email@example.com
* Index Arabicus is a bibliography of Arabic articles modeled on Index Islamicus. It was compiled on cards in the 70's and converted into online database by the University of Imam al-Ouzai in Beirut.